Artwork by Rick Anderson
My works express visual statements incorporating images, shapes, layering, and elements of design derived from experiences that can be personal, social, political and environmental.
I grew up in the Mississippi Delta, that is expansively flat and yet complex. Linear planes created by farmland, wooded areas and open fields that repeat, one after another, toward the horizon manifest this complexity. Thus a sense of place has strong impact on my work, both consciously and subconsciously.
My work tends to be spontaneous. I often begin with no idea of what the end result will be. The work itself guides me and I find the journey of discovery fulfilling!
(continued from front page)
Reared in the Mississippi Delta, Rick Anderson believes there is some “magic” in the South, and it is where he fell in love with art, starting his lifelong journey of creation. He displays his contemporary realist style, combining abstract forms with realistic images, in numerous galleries. His favorite media are acrylic, watercolor, and pencil, which he often mixes to create landscapes and other pieces. Although his gallery works are at times wildly imaginative, Anderson also enjoys painting realistic illustrations in the children's books that he illustrates. A retrospective exhibit of Rick’s work would reveal a wide range of techniques, from photographic pencil drawings to small and large contemporary two-dimensional mixed media work on canvas and paper.
Rick attained a Master of Arts Education degree. With a career spanning over 45 years, he has worked both as a professional artist and an art educator. His commitment to producing art while teaching made an impression on his students and a number of them still consider him a mentor and friend. .
Rick is on both the artist and art education rosters of the Mississippi Arts Commission which features professional artists or arts educators who devote their time to practicing, performing or teaching their discipline. He has presented to schools throughout the U.S. and Germany, promoting literacy through book illustration, painting, and two-dimensional mixed media studio art workshops. Most days Rick can be found in his home studio creating new works.
“Rick Anderson’s approach to the Mississippi landscape seems casual at first glance; however, on closer examination, one discovers a very unique and refreshing contemporary interpretation of a subject that is extremely personal for him. He dissects his subject with seemingly little effort and the end result is hauntingly beautiful. He has established himself as one of Mississippi’s finest talents.”-Dale Rayburn, internationally renowned professional artist and retired university art professor in Roswell, GA.
AWARDS and HONORS
- Southern Watercolor Society 39th Juried Exhibition
Virginia Watercolor Society Award recipient
- 43rd Annual Bi-State Juried Art Competition, Meridian Museum of Art
Best of Show recipient
- 42nd Annual Bi-State Juried Art Competition, Meridian Museum of Art
Achievement Award recipient
- Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Society Juried Exhibition
- Kentucky Watercolor Society Juried Exhibition
- Rutgers National Drawing and Craft Juried Exhibition
- Louisiana International Watercolor Society Juried Exhibition
- Tennessee Watercolor Society Juried Exhibition
- Mississippi Watercolor Society Juried Exhibition
- Arkansas Print, Drawing and Craft Juried Exhibition
- Cleveland Crosstie Arts Festival - Numerous awards
- Tupelo Gum Tree Festival - Numerous awards
- Solo Exhibition – Delta Arts Alliance
- Solo Exhibition – Meridian Museum of Art
- M is for Magnolia: a Mississippi Alphabet Book; Sleeping Bear Press
- 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi: A Mississippi Numbers Book; Sleeping Bear Press
- N is for Natural State: An Arkansas Alphabet Book; Sleeping Bear Press
- Natural Numbers: An Arkansas Number Book; Sleeping Bear Press
- Racecar Driver’s Night Before Christmas; Pelican Publishing
- Christmas Stories from the South’s Best Writers; Pelican Publishing
- Eucharist: A Catholic Alphabet Book; Mockingbird Press
- My Mississippi: Pictures and Poems; e-book; written and illustrated by Rick Anderson